Sunday, July 8, 2018

GEAR DOWN


My new bike, a purple Raleigh with 7 gears is often my choice mode of transportation right now. When I picked it up, the staff at the Bike shop reminded me: "now don't forget to gear down when you are coming to a stop."


I actually never did this. I usually just kept the old girl in 5th gear and away I went whether it be up, down, fast, slow, stopping or going. But there is a good reason to gear down and that is to help you keep that steady cadence while you bike along. It's easier on your knees too, which is a bonus when your knees are over 50 years old. 

Often in life, we are going one speed, full tilt ahead. So, let me encourage you to "gear down". Take it easy on yourself when you are facing a steep hill of to-do's ahead. Gear down and come to a stop before you make that next move into the intersection. Don't be a bull in a china shop! 

Gear down and sip a cold one, in this case a Perrier water mixed with a bit of fruit juice.


Get outside and have lunch on a patio!


How about a chilled blueberry soup and spinach mandarin salad? 

I'm pretty sure your quality of life, that steady cadence you are aiming for, will be easier to maintain if you change your way of tackling it.


So, grab that bevy, get out in the garden, put your comfy slippers on, and Gear Down. 









No comments:

Post a Comment