Sunday, June 24, 2018

THE RED JEWEL OF JUNE

Strawberries. The Red Jewel of June.


I head to the local berry patch and start the hunt for these ruby red beauties. Juicy and sweet and hidden beneath leaves of green I pluck them off with a satisfying snap and drop them in my baskets until I've harvested enough and the baskets brim red and promising.

This year's hunt was completed on a grey and wet June morning. But still, it's worth it.

My girlfriend Denise often comes with me and she picks for many of her elderly friends and neighbours. Me, I pick for the upcoming strawberry socials - one at church and one for the office. 


At home I spend time washing and cleaning and cutting them up. Their sweet scent fills the air as I wash my hands in the strawberry water. 

And there's lots to share so I try my hand at a new recipe, Strawberry soufflés! 


I'm anxious as they are in the oven, hoping they are rising but afraid to peek. Finally, when the time is done I open up the oven and there they are pink fluffy and popping out of their individual ramekins. Drizzled with chocolate or maybe topped with a soft rich cheese, these are a light and special treat.

Next weekend I'm hosting a baby shower for my daughter and I have a busy week ahead with baking and prep. But since I have the time and some rhubarb cut and ready, I make a strawberry rhubarb compote to go with the homemade scones and clotted cream she has specifically requested.


Strawberry season will soon be over. It is only a short few weeks when they are fresh and plentiful in Ontario and I try every year to take advantage of this treasure growing in our local fields, the Red Jewel of June. 

No comments:

Post a Comment