Sunday, June 3, 2018

THE ACCIDENTAL GARDENER

It's that time again, time for me to ramble on about gardening. I'm sure a post about bicycling will soon follow!

As I do every year, I take a couple of days off work and really get my hands into the dirt. Even after 14 years of working in the same garden, I still feel like I'm stumbling along, an accidental gardener.

I potted this rhododendron and it has not disappointed!


My garden is a well established perennial which means it shows up every year of it's own accord. It also means I need to weed out and trim back the more boisterous plants or they just take over. I've always been a bit nervous about this but I really went at my lily of the valley.


Check out the carnage from this accident scene! I love them but they were really getting carried away. 


Figured I might as well help myself to the leftovers!

Violets too, are party animals. Fortunately they are like easy going hippies. You can pull them out easily enough and they are like "sorry dude, didn't know I was in your space." I pulled out a lot of them to make room for a new venture: strawberries, raspberries and brussel sprouts! Here are my baby strawberry bushes and I can already see a few little baby berries.


After careful choosing at the garden centre, I arranged some of my pots. Here's this year's selection:



The garden as always, teaches me life lessons, like you need to sometimes root out things in your life to make room for others to grow and breathe. 

So, I stumble along hoping for the best not only in life but in the garden. Here's to happy accidentals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment