Sunday, May 27, 2018

AND YOU MAY ASK YOURSELF....WELL, HOW DID I GET HERE?

Is that title ringing any bells? Can you name that tune? If you are stumped, it's "Once in a Lifetime" by the Talking Heads. Showed up on your radio in 1980.

Personally, I'm asking myself that question often, about once a week.

How did I get here?

Yesterday, my baby boy, the last child I ever birthed, turned 27. That's right...I said 27.  The very same age I was on a beautiful spring morning when he showed up on earth. 

Things are a little fuzzy here, but I'm guessing he is 2 in this pic. 

Suddenly and without even asking, he was 4 and my firstborn turned 7. 
BOOM! All grown up.

This morning I realized I'm turning 55 this year. I was shocked!
Counted on my fingers about 3 times then did the math manually to double check. Yup, definitely turning 55.

Honestly I don't know how I got here. How did I zoom through more than half of my life in what seems like a nano-second? I've raised two children plus a gaggle of others. I've been working since I was 13. I've been married (here comes another shocker) for 32 years next month. 

I can say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, I've been blessed. I'm keenly aware not everyone on this planet gets such a longstanding bonus. My life has been filled with good things and joys, a sprinkling of pain and grief. 

I'm not sure how I got here. But let me say, Thank You. My cup is full. 


1 comment: