Sunday, November 6, 2016

RAKING IN THE GOLD

I noticed the other night while walking Lulu that I am surrounded by a golden universe.


There is gold in them thar trees! 

In fact, everywhere I looked were trees, roads, yards covered in gold.

We all know there is a winter wonderland coming, but right now it's all about the crisp, fall leaves creating a golden, autumn existence.

Like most of you, I get to rake in all the gold that has fallen from the trees, leaving a plethora of gold leaf medallions on my yard. 

But, hey, it's only once a year. And they smell and looks so good.

Today, I turn 53, which is a bit of a head shaker. How did I get to 53? How come I have been allotted that many years on this earth (so far)? Even more fascinating, they have been very good years! My health has been excellent, I have an amazing family, great job and friends. I'm not struggling to survive in a refugee camp somewhere or scrounging for my next meal. 

As King David said:

"Lord, you have assigned me my portioned and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places and surely I have a delightful inheritance." 
Psalm 16:5,6

I'm keenly aware of my blessed existence. Do I deserve it? Not really. I certainly didn't earn it. Because I'm in process. Gold doesn't just arrive all shiny and clean. It needs to be refined and purged of impurities. It needs to be shaken and tossed to get out all those nuggets of dirt and muck. Often it's thrown into a fire to be shaped and melded into something beautiful.

So, even though I have been abundantly blessed, I'm still a 53 year old  woman made up of some gold, some dirt and some niggly stones that refuse to be removed. 

In the meantime, I will keep raking in the gold. Nuggets of wisdom, understanding and insight. Precious moments and memories. And I thank God for the delightful inheritance I have even though I am  made up of not just gold but dirt and muck and niggly stones. 




No comments:

Post a Comment