Sunday, January 24, 2016

NOW THAT'S IMPRESSIVE

The other day after work I went to get groceries. The parking lot was a hot spot of cars coming and going and I circled around looking for a place to squeeze into. Then I watched this big Ford F150 truck manoeuvre and actually reverse into a spot that looked like a custom fit. I was impressed, let me tell you. My spatial skills are nonexistent and the thought of parking a truck that size, much less in reverse is totally beyond me!

In my defence, I was impressed that I grew this Amaryllis from a bulb in a box no less! It's no F150....but still...


Then I got to thinking....what would impress God, the creator of the universe, and giving credit where credit is due, the true Amaryllis maker! There is one story in Matthew about a centurion asks if Jesus would come and heal his servant. Jesus agrees to help but then the Centurion says - "don't trouble yourself, I am not worthy to have you under my roof. But just say the word and let my servant be healed." 

And Jesus was impressed! It says he "marvelled". Here was this Centurion who hardly knew Jesus and he has the faith to believe that Jesus is who He says He is and can do what He says He can do. Finally, Jesus finds someone who actually believes in Him and he does not have to prove himself to! And of course, the servant was healed that very moment.

Well, it would be pretty cool to impress the God of all Creation but I'm guilty of looking for proof and my faith is not always so solid.

But I'm working on it. So here's my plug....for you and me. There is an upcoming nation-wide fundraiser called "Coldest Night of the Year." You can check it out at "cnoy.org". Locally, it is the biggest fund raiser for our little drop in centre called "Nightlight". I volunteer there and I am privileged to meet some of the most interesting characters. I get to provide them with a hot or cold drink, something to eat. I get to chat with them and hang out, maybe play cards. I get to drop off clothes that people have generously passed on to me. 

Matthew 25:35 says "I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me".  

I like to think Jesus is impressed every time a pass over another cup of double double coffee to the woman with the hand-me-down coat and no mittens. 

I encourage to you to support these community resources! Check out Coldest Night of the Year and see if there is one locally. You can pledge a walker to raise funds, walk yourself or come down and volunteer in the hands on work. 

And maybe, just maybe, God will look at us working together and nudge Jesus in the ribs and say "Hey, look at our creation! Pretty impressive eh!!"




No comments:

Post a Comment