Sunday, January 25, 2015

TRY AGAIN - LESSONS FROM LULU

For the past 4 weeks, every Sunday, we have been attending dog training lessons for Lulu. Although Lulu is my 3rd dog, I have never gone this route before. But she is a clever little mutt - too clever for me!

We attend the class with 3 other pups: Along with Lulu there is Ozzie, a floppy shih tzu/pug cross, Buster a grumpy little terrier, and incredibly beautiful australian sheepdog named Auggie - clearly the smartest in the class. 

This is Lulu acing her "watch me!" She is not allowed to look away, must keep her eye right on me until I tell her OK!
I know. She looks terrified. She's not. She's just desperately waiting for my cue to let her have her breakfast. 

We are directed to not use the word "no", only a strange "Ah-ah" kinda sound when they mess up. "Ah-ah" means try again. 

Which is not a bad concept really. I mess up all the time. The gentle word spoken to me is not usually a resounding no, but Try Again Cyndi. I may have taken a wrong turn somewhere, spoken the wrong word at the wrong time but I'm going to get up and try again. 

There is a song by a group called Tenth Avenue North and the chorus goes like this:
You are more than the choices that you've made
You are more than the sum of your past mistakes
You are more than the problems you create
You've been remade.

A good reminder don't you think? Feeling like a buffoon? A failure? Too many historic mistakes? You are more - Try Again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment