Monday, September 3, 2018

MUD PUPPY RETREAT


I was at the Ophthalmologist's the other day. I explained to the girl checking my eyeballs out I had just returned from the cottage and had barely had time to make myself respectable before my appointment. "Oh yeah!" she said "I've been a mud puppy most of the summer!" A mud puppy is when you are barely decent - no makeup, lucky to have your underwear on, occasionally washing your face, you get the picture. 

So when I went on a girls only camping trip we coined it a "Mud Puppy Retreat". I went with my friend Kelly (she's always up for adventures - see blog about the time we climbed a snowbank - January 2016) and her daughter Naomi. 

We did a back country trip in Bon Echo at Joeperry Lake. 

Naomi was a kayak-pro!

While Kelly and I canoed over with most of the gear.

As always, we ate well! Salmon with veggies and garlic sticks. We tried our hand at a new option which we deemed "Banadadillas" which is basically like a quesadilla except there was banana and peanut butter in them.


And Kelly's husband Marcus freeze dried us enough stew to feed nearly every camper on the lake! 

I love back country camping - you can't beat the scenery!

Beauty sunsets....

And waking up to beautiful mornings. 

We had a crazy thunderstorm where there was so much rain the bottom of my tent was akin to a water bed. But we mud puppies managed to keep that campfire burning!


Of course, there's always something left behind and in this case, it was the stove which I was supposed to bring. So a quick canoe back across the lake and a drive in to a store solved that problem. 

It was a great trip and we are hoping to make it an annual event. If you don't mind thunderstorms when you are in a tent, water snakes and being a Mud Puppy, maybe you can join us!




No comments:

Post a Comment