Sunday, May 13, 2018

SAW THAT ONE COMING

Right in the middle of downtown Vancouver I watched a young Asian couple in a dramatic moment. Seems they were having a tiff and next thing I know, he is on his knees, begging, right in the middle of the sidewalk, for her to stay. She turns away, indifferent. That's cold baby.  And I wonder, did he see that one coming?

There are moments in our lives we don't see coming. That sudden change: a phone call, an accident, a connection with another soul from a chance meeting. Call it fate or timing, your life is never going to be the same.

But then, there are some we do see coming. We anticipate them, think about how we will react, how our lives will change. 

It's Mother's Day today and I spent the afternoon with family including my Mom and my daughter, now 30 weeks pregnant. 


I'm soon going to have a grandson and my life will change. I can see this one coming!


That's my Mom with my sisters and I ( on her lap) on a camping trip. Probably in the mid-1960s. She is an amazing Mother who dealt with difficult teenage girls and heartache when she lost my sister Heidi to cancer. Some of these she probably did not see coming. 

But she taught me a lot about being a mother so when my time came I would have a bit of heads up around the whole process.

So, here we are, nearly 50 years later 


My daughter gets to take on the mysterious role of motherhood, I get to try my hand as a Grandmother and my amazing mother steps up to Great Grandmother. The circle of life continues. There will be things ahead that take us by surprise.

And then there will be many like joy and sorrow, love and loss that we will say: Saw that one coming. 


No comments:

Post a Comment