Sunday, January 21, 2018

PLACES TO GO FOR A GOOD CUP OF JOE

I like a good cup of coffee. Strong, rich and hot with frothed milk and sprinkled with cinnamon. I'm the only coffee drinker in my house so I ritually make myself a cup of Joe every morning using a french press.



And, I admit, on weekends, a little dash of Bailey's makes it extra yummy!


Which got me musing about this necessary evil and I wanted to learn more about how to make a REALLY, GOOD cup of coffee.


Enter Adam:

On Saturday, Adam just happened to be putting on a coffee seminar at a local CrossFit centre. I'm not a Cross Fit person so I kinda stood out amongst all those rippling muscles but I am a coffee person, so I signed up!



To say that coffee is a passion for Adam is an understatement. Adam is the owner of The Brake Room (The Brake Room) and he is some kind of coffee guru. I learned about the coffee farms and farmers, the philosophy behind coffee, the importance of how to grind and how to store. The incredible science and chemistry around the amount of water vs. coffee vs. timing. I took a lot in but this is what I personally took home - I need to up my game when it comes to grinding; get a better grinder and grind fresh daily! 



I decided to check out the locally owned coffee spots downtown that personally, Belleville, could use a little love and support in the middle of winter. 


Nice Ice Baby is amazing for homemade ice cream and gelato. But coffee is also available, not to mention home made soup! 



 

Go check it out, Nice Ice Baby (Belleville Cafe - nice ice baby ice cream)  even if gelato is the furthest thing from your mind.


There is also Gourmet Diem (Gourmet Diem ) downtown. Coffee and fresh baked goods and it is chock full of great products. I bought a beet linguine there all rosy red and begging for mushrooms and peppers.


Finally, I stopped into a downtown favourite, L'auberge de France (L'Auberge de France)


This place is perfect for house cats like me - it's warm and cosy in here and you feel like you are in Grand Paris.  On Saturday mornings, you can get fresh baked croissants that melt in your mouth. But me, I went for a cappuccino and a slice of lemon loaf.


Because in Belleville, it's a good place to go, for a cup of Joe!


1 comment: