Sunday, September 10, 2017

I'VE GOT GOOD NEWS AND I'VE GOT BAD NEWS

If you follow me regularly you know I often write about my biking adventures. Just this past April I wrote "The Bicycle, Season 47, Episode 1" and in Spring 2016,  "Ready to Ride".  


But this year, there's been a few plot twists I did not see coming; some good and some bad. So, let's start with the bad news.

In mid-August I rode my bike to work. Lovely ride, no surprises until I strolled out of the office with helmet in hand to discover my bike was not where I had left it - stolen is the word. My faithful bike with the skull and cross bone duct tape on the seat, the one I just invested a good couple hundred dollars in to keep her spruced and rolling was not to be found. Yes, it was locked and he/she was good enough to leave me the lock but not so much the bike. I called the Police and left a description and that was that. 

Now, onto the Good news! About 3 weeks ago, I got a new bike! Another Raleigh with fat juicy tires and rides like the wind. A purple beauty with a little yellow bell. I'm back in the saddle.

But, another plot twist, back to some bad news....Two weeks ago as I'm crossing an intersection a truck misjudged how fast I was going and hit the back end of my bike. I lost control and took a tumble. There was no head injury, just some prize winning bruises. I did not call the police but the driver assured me to call if there were any damages. 

I was sore, stiff and shaken plus I wanted to take my bike back down to where I bought it for a check up before I started riding again. So, this past Saturday I took my new bike back to Stephen's License (they are great to deal with) and after a little tweaking it was deemed as good as new.


I feel I've earned a good cappuccino and perhaps a little chocolate madeleine after all that, don't you?


Life is full of good and bad news. There are things we just don't see coming. I'm grateful that I was not badly hurt, that I sat beside my beautiful daughter in church today, that I went for a drive in the County with my husband and had a nice lunch. I'm grateful that I'm not in the path of Hurricane Irma at the moment and hunkered down in a shelter hoping my home will still be standing when I get back. 

Be kind to one another. You don't know if they have just been hit by a truck or landed big money or in the path of a hurricane. We all need grace and support to get through whatever is coming our way. 



No comments:

Post a Comment