Sunday, May 28, 2017

A NEWBIE ON THE WEST COAST

Mountains truly astonish me. I mean, just look at the view from the airplane window!


Although I've managed to fit in two flights to far off destinations this year I'm still no world traveller. I'm a newbie. In fact, I'm definitely a Homebody. But this past week, I was blessed with the opportunity to fly to British Columbia to visit my son and daughter-in-law in Vancouver. 

Never been to Vancouver. So for a Newbie in Vancouver, that means lots of pictures, food, adventures and generally just crossing things off the bucket list. Hold on to your hats kids - here we go!

No sooner had we hit the ground we headed up the coast on the Sea to Sky Highway to Squamish to watch the sunset from a mountain top.

After a racy Gondola ride to the top, we crossed this Bridge to check out the mountain view


And then watched the earth go to sleep as the sun set behind the mountains.


Scratch that one off the Bucket List!

Next day was a couple of hiking trips. 

First to an area called Lonsdale where I experienced crisp fresh air and icy cold water.


Needed a little buffer between those hikes so what better than sushi in Vancouver!!


This work of art was from a restaurant called Hachi Hana. Quick friendly service, clean, and excellent food!

Then we headed to the very West coast of Vancouver to an area called Caulfeild Park. 


We sunned on the rocks along with a dozen other folks. I saw, for the first time, a Bald Eagle sailing overhead and sea lions curiously checking us out from the water (more Bucket List scratches).

Next up was Granville Market in the heart of Vancouver. Parking was atrocious (holiday Monday) but what a sight for the senses AND my camera.


I checked out a Honey stand where you could sample the varieties. 


Before we said our goodbyes to the kids, Sheldon and I rented some bikes and zoomed around Stanley Park, another Bucket List victory.


Then we took a 5 hour (that's right 5 HOUR) bus trip on the Coquihalla Highway to Kelowna. Up and down, through rain, sun, snowy mountain tops and even a rainbow.


We were embraced by the loving arms of our friends the Molenaars, quite possibly some of the most gracious hosts on the planet. 

Sid and Cheryl will always make you feel at home and feed your body, mind and spirit all at the same time!


This was just the starter for a feed of trout, shrimp, roasted potatoes and salad. Lawd ha' mercy.

This Newbie was now armed with a load of new experiences. I was also ready to get back to my routine and spend some kitchen time. Inspired by all the amazing food I had enjoyed, I created this dish of avocado pasta with roasted peppers, mushrooms and fiddleheads and I topped it with sun-dried tomatoes, feta and olives.


There is no shame in being a Newbie. Sure, you are hesitant and get in people's way. You take a long time reading signs and checking google maps but it's worth it. If you spot one looking dazed and confused, offer them some direction and advice. They will appreciate it and so will their Bucket List!



No comments:

Post a Comment