Sunday, March 12, 2017

WEIGHING IN ON MINIMALISM

Before I begin, it's Sunday morning, and I have a question....

Why, oh why are we still doing this time change thing??? Come on Ontario, let's put that one on the back shelf please.

But I digress...I watched a documentary on "Minimalism" yesterday. If you have not heard about this new trend, here it is in a nutshell:

To intentionally live with only the things you really need. 

"Minimalism is the intentional promotion of the things we most value and the removal of everything that distracts us from it" according to Joshua Becker.

Which got me thinking....am I a Minimalist??? The answer is No, but I am a purger...which is close! 

I intentionally purge nearly every week and I have a continual pile of items ready to go when the charity of choice calls up and asks if I have anything for pick up - you betcha I do.

I don't "collect" anything (except maybe things that are yellow). 

Yesterday was another so not necessary freezing cold day but as I hunkered down in the house last weekend I was not going to be trapped in again so I went to do some shopping. 

Like me, I expect Minimalists do not get a high off of shopping but I did need to pick up a few things:


The honey and spoons were for work. For some reason, spoons disappear at the office. I don't know where they go, but I suspect they are canoodling with socks somewhere.  I picked up the spoons at Value Village along with a sundress for $12. Now since I bought a sundress, that means I will get rid of something. Purgers like to keep things in balance. 

The wafer cookies were a treat for my hubby, and the coconut oil was a necessity along with the wine!

Funny wine story. Went like this:

Cashier to the young woman behind me next in line: "May I see some ID?"
Young Woman: "Of course"
Me to the Cashier: "You coulda asked me too!"
Cashier: "You were borderline"
Me: "I bet you say that to all the girls"

Now that's just funny on so many levels!

I think Minimalism is a good perspective. We really have way too much stuff. My plan is to slowly whittle everything down to only what is important to me before my kids have to move me into a retirement home. 

That should leave me with pets, humans, music, food and wine and all things yellow!








No comments:

Post a Comment