Sunday, September 18, 2016

STORMY WEATHER


Let me tell you about last Saturday night. I was home alone as Sheldon was out and my Ballerina away for a modelling gig. Nothing better than puttering in the kitchen so I made a couple of soups (squash/pear and a sweet potato/red pepper) to store for those cold winter nights. I was listening to a great blues program on CBC when it began to be interrupted by an irritating high frequency sound. Then a man's voice came on warning us of dangerous weather and a possible tornado. He meant business! And indeed there was a storm brewing outside. 

I continued to putter but now the irritating high frequency sound was coming about every 10 minutes, interrupting my great blues program! This time it was a woman's voice warning of impending danger but she sounded more like your mom does when she says something like "now if you don't go to bed Santa won't come!". She was warning us alright, but her tone was cautious and warm, all at the same time. 

I took stock of my surroundings - where's the cats  (they are wisely in the basement where I plan to head should nature call). Lulu is none too worried but I will drag her down there with me. Water nearby, grab some soup I just made, flashlight, cell phone - CHECK.

I sat in the dark and watched an amazing light show outside, listened to the rain tap dancing on the cars, thunderous booms, and the wind whipping around. Nothing to disconcerting. 

But it was another story down in Prince Edward County- a mere 25 minute drive from me! A tornado did indeed make it's presence known. Fortunately no one was hurt. We went and checked out the damage the next day:

A deck skewered through by a tree branch


Trees snapped and splintered



Ironically, kayaks and boats were right where they had been left, but the tree was twisted and trashed. It would seem the tornado was not quite touching the ground!


This one was shaken, lifted and stirred!


We have had so little rain this summer and I think only about 3 thunderstorms. I was actually enjoying it in my little corner of the world. But still, stormy weather is not to be trifled with. Just ask the County folk!


No comments:

Post a Comment