Sunday, December 28, 2014

IN THE COMPANY OF PETS

This is the first year my daughter Randi was not home for Christmas and I truly felt it. I put the fireplace on, lit the tree lights, sat in my big chair with Lulu and sipped a coffee. Across the road I could see the neighbours starting their Christmas morning festivities. They have two little children, a boy and girl, about the ages of 5 and 3. I watched as Mom and Dad, Grandma and Grandpa handed out presents. I watched as the little boy jumped up and down quivering with excitement. And I ached. Oh, how quickly those days fly by. Enjoy your little ones people, for soon they are off and in my case, spending Christmas in other countries. 

I thought I would start my holiday off by ending a nearly 4-year sickness free run. I've had not so much as a cold, but I ended it with a bang. By the afternoon of Dec. 22 I was feeling pretty nauseous. By 6:00 I was throwing up on cue every 20 minutes. Exhausted from this little workout I finally fell asleep around 10:30. Alas, at 3:00 am I was at it again, but from the other end and I blacked out in the bathroom with Lulu licking my face. Because, I'm in the company of pets.


They are always nearby, keeping vigil over me, like furry angels. Old man Frodo hangs with me in the garden.



Sasha waits for me at the top of the stairs


While I laid in bed, moaning and groaning and upchucking into the big silver bowl they hung out on the bed, little warm, steady lumps.  

They are sometimes a nuisance, taking up all the room.


But I don't mind. Because I'm in good company. 

The company of pets.





No comments:

Post a Comment