Sunday, December 14, 2014

THE CONE OF SHAME

Lulu has had a bit of a rough go this week. I didn't know how to break it to her, so I didn't, but she was going in for major surgery aka, getting spayed.

We got up Thursday morning as per usual and went for our walk but when we got back there was no breakfast for her. She kept hanging around the closet where her food is and looking at me questioningly. 
"Sorry girl, no food for you today.."
She might have clued in when we got in the car (but she didn't).
I think it finally dawned on her that something big was goin' down when I handed the leash over to the lady at the Vets and started walking out the door without her!

Lulu spent the night at the Vets so that meant a vacation for the cats and a full night's sleep for me! No pawing between 3 and 5:00 am. I left closet doors open, because I could and did not even put my slippers or my shoes away, just left them out all vulnerable like.
But I did miss her - the big coffee chair seemed pretty empty without her warm body beside me. 

Sheldon picked her up the next day at lunch and she arrived home looking no worse for wear except for a shaved belly with stitches, a shaved patch on her leg where the IV went in and the "Cone of Shame". 

She bumps along and knocks into things, she unwittingly scoops up snow and going up stairs takes some maneuvering. It totally freaks my cat Frodo out.

Ever felt like you were wearing a "cone of shame?" All awkward and obvious, freaking a few people out? I sure have.

Fortunately, it's Christmas. A time of renewed life, hope, blessings and miracles. Just listen to a few Christmas songs and let those words sink in:

Hark the Herald Angels Sing: "Mild He lays His glory by, Born that man no more may die, Born to raise the sons of earth, Born to give them second birth"

It Came Upon a Midnight Clear: "Peace on the earth good will to men, From heaven's all gracious King."

White Christmas: "May your days be merry and bright, and may all your Christmases by white."

Every now and then, we feel like we are wearing a Cone of Shame. But every day is brand new, a chance to start over, shake off those mistakes and move on. 

I hope you feel the magic and wonder of Christmas this year!







No comments:

Post a Comment