Sunday, August 3, 2014

FINDING THE SUIT

We are getting down to the wire on the "wedding of the Crowder century". One week to go! I must say, this has been a tricky process what with the bride in England and the arranging done here. But Randi is now home and we are full speed ahead. People ask me if I'm feeling stressed or if I'm ready, or if I need any help. I'm not feeling stressed and think everything is under control. I'm not having any of those moments where it's like "Gahh!!!! I forgot......!!!" 
As for help, it has occurred to me my primary role for the next week is head cook and bottle washer for a possible army of giggly girls (one being gluten free and one being vegetarian that I know of) and a variety of men. I'm open to whatever meals/food care to show up at my door!
Now my dress is snoozing quietly in the closet but let's not forget the Father of the Bride who also wants to look his best. So a few days ago we headed to the Moore's Mens Clothing store to gussy up Sheldon. 

We had a very attentive but very busy young man wearing two utterly different socks on his feet ("got dressed in the dark" he says) running from us to another couple to who knows where trying to keep all his customers coddled and happy. Hats off to him - he did a good job and lost a few pounds in the process. Sheldon has also lost about 30 pounds in the last few months thanks to a diet involving lots of smoothies, so he was ready to try his new bod out in some classy clothes. He tried on a few different suits and decided on a nice 3-piece one complete with a vest. He looks very handsome, just you wait and see. 
As I was waiting for Prince Charming to try on his duds I was observing, cause that's what writers do, the other customers in the shop. One young man in his 20s arrived in a nondescript tank top and baggy jeans but seemed awkward and excited as he tried on crisp white shirts and dress pants, like a guy who is playing dress up and secretly enjoying it but doesn't want anyone to know. 
So, I asked another sales person what the guys who were getting married were like when they come in for clothes. 
"Well, we get all kinds" she says
"Sometimes the bride comes in alone and picks everything out ahead of time. Sometimes the bride and groom come in together. She tells him to pick out what he likes and then she kiboshes it all and directs him to what he will wear! And some just come in and have no idea what to get so they just ask us to pick it out for them."
For my part, I'm not one who has difficulty making decisions on my own so I found this rather amusing. 
As for Sheldon, I let him pick out what he wants. He's a big boy and he's wearing it, not me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment