Saturday, March 8, 2014

SELF DISCIPLINE AND GIVING IT UP


So, I started to observe the season of Lent this week. For those of you not in the know Lent, according to that always accurate source Wikipedia is as follows:
"A solemn religious observance in the liturgical calendar of many Christian denominations that begins on Ash Wednesday and covers a period of approximately six weeks before Easter Day. The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer through prayer, penance, repentance of sins, almsgiving, atonement and self-denial."
Wait a minute....I'm good with about half of those things on the list. Baby steps people, baby steps.
I had decided to give up a few things for Lent, none very willingly, but that is part of the deal, and one of those being chocolate. Little did I know what I was getting into! 
It is no secret I am a chocoholic. I have a "chocolate drawer" at work, both milk and dark and open to all in need of a 2-3:00 o'clock fix (I believe I can drop this one under "almsgiving"). Worse yet, those yummy, crunchy candy-covered chocolate eggs have surfaced in the office and are taunting me.
One of the ladies I work with calls me her "Chocolate Goddess." I clearly stated there would be no bare-naked-horse-riding-Godiva-like scenerio happening any time soon. My hair is just not long enough. 
It is also a well known fact that I am a pretty darn disciplined individual so this should be a walk in the park for me. 
But giving up anything is never easy. Especially when you don't want to! In fact, the giving up of chocolate is probably the easiest thing on my Lent self denial list. I'm not going to tell you the rest, cause that just seems like cheating. It seems more appropriate to keep it under wraps. 
So, what do I hope to gain from this experience? To hear a little more clearly, to understand myself a little better, to become more like the person I hope to be are a few reasons. 
Today I went back down to the vintage store and for those of you who read my last blog, I did decide to buy the dress. Then I went to a little french bistro and had myself and amazing cappuccino and fresh baked croissant. They also dropped a teasingly beautiful little chocolate on my saucer. I always appreciate this classy gesture. I enjoyed my cappuccino, ate some of the croissant and brought the rest home for the family, but I did NOT touch that little choice morsel of chocolately goodness. 
But come Good Friday....only another 40 days or so....look out people. I will be indulging to the hilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment