Monday, January 18, 2021

I’VE NOTICED SOME CHANGES...

 You know that question “if you had to give up one of your senses, which one would it be?” I would give up smell. It was an easy response because I lost my normal sense of smell about 10 years ago. 

I was in a boating accident where a Sea-doo landed on top of the boat I was in. I remember thinking “gosh, they are coming up on us pretty fast...” At about the exact  same time the driver and I realized they were about to land on top of the boat. I ducked but still got my head dinged between the side of the boat and the bottom of the sea-doo. The result was a concussion and a wonky sense of smell. 

But last March, right when COVID was ramping up and loss of smell was a symptom, I got my nose back! I could smell the soap in the bathroom, the scented candle in the living room, the muddy smell of spring when the ground thawed - Everything! That’s a nice change!

There have been other changes too. Menopause brought a new temperature gage! My normal body temp is cold. All the time. Along comes hot flashes. I can feel the heat building up in my feet and like the Singing Whos in Whoville it starts out small and starts to grow. There is no stopping it. I start peeling off layers as fast as possible. Off go the slippers, fuzzy socks, the hoodie, the extra sweater. Overheating is a big change for me!

And there’s more!!

Age spots! This beauty showed up out of nowhere, and I’ve been a hat wearer since my 20s! Oh I’ve tried the Vitamin C solutions and several others but to no avail. 

A couple of weeks ago I was chasing my grandson around, up the stairs and down the stairs. Soren would squeal with glee “Catch my Nonna !! Catch me!!” Suddenly my watch starts sending out an Amber alert, vibrating and carrying on. 

“Something is wrong” thinks my watch. There is a big change here - way too much activity for the old dame. “Danger, Will Roger..Danger!” I check and my watch is asking me “have you fallen? Do we need to call emergency services??” My options are “yes, or no” and hope I’ve hit the right one but the message is impossibly small to read and I don’t have bifocals yet! 

Smelling, overheating, age spots, amber alerts for old folks - I’ve noticed some changes!!





2 comments: