Sunday, January 20, 2019

SOMETHING NEW

Perhaps I complained a little too loudly about the cold weather last weekend...Old Man Winter has sent a reprimand - "You whining about the cold? I'll give you something to whine about!" We are getting us a real winter wallop; not only is it colder, it's snowier. So after shovelling out those extra 15 cm of snow in the driveway, I'm hunkered down in front of the fireplace with my hands wrapped around a Cinnamon Chai Tea.

I've been trying lots of different teas lately, thanks to a David's Tea gift box from Christmas. They are Something New for me.

Which got me musing about all the new things I discovered last year!

For example: I discovered new music and artists. The Bahamas with their easy summer sounding groove, Natalie Prass' "Short Court Style" which I dunno, I just find it fun. "Come for a Ride" by Divine Right - old song, but new to me. And Donovan Woods.  "Burn That Bridge" is over the top when it comes to building musical tension. 

I discovered new recipes too - chocolate meringues, Pasta with roasted squash and kale that I could every night for the rest of my life, and lots of great soups.

Of course, there were new adventures, new people and new pets who entered my life and touched my soul. 

All that to say, this year too, will hold New Things. The Thai Chicken Noodle soup I made last week is a keeper. And I have a stack of new books to read by my beside.
I pulled this book out of a boxful at my daughter's place. It is pushing near 100 years old since being published and chock full of fairy lore, mythology and classics like Tom Thumb, Little Red Riding Hood and Cinderella. I'm enjoying this new read!

And of course, there will be new adventures ahead. Now adventures can be exciting but sometimes, not very comfortable. 

I happen to work in the healthcare field and well, looks like change is a coming (again) and I really don't know what the future holds regarding my job. My work family works hard, really hard, to support those in the community who are weak, ill and vulnerable, young and old alike. And the provincial government has determined there is likely a better way to spend the tax payer's money (again). This is old hat for us but there will be new processes and hierarchy put in place. 

This year, there will be lots of new things ahead for all of us. Some, like a good recipe or book or a new soul to connect with will make you wonder how you survived before. And some new adventures will be uncomfortable, even hard. 

I've rambled on long enough now, the snow has finally stopped and the real deep freeze is about to set in. Stay warm and safe everyone,  and try Something New.



No comments:

Post a Comment