Sunday, January 13, 2019

RECIPE FOR COMFY-COSY-CANADIAN-HEAT-SEEKER

The dog wants out. The dog wants in. And out, and in...and every time I open the door this whoosh of cold air streams in. Frigid, icy, take your breath away kind of cold. The arctic air is making the rounds here in Canada. 

I thank God above that the furnace is working. It faithfully starts up with a grumble almost every 10 minutes. Still, my house is cold and the outfit de jour is sweaters, blankets, fuzzy slippers and socks. 

I want Comfy! I want Cosy! I want Heat! 

To the kitchen I go, where the stove gives off that extra boost heat seekers desire.

Breakfast is oatmeal, hot and comforting with dried cherries and pecans. Kinsip, a locally made product of Maple syrup infused with whisky makes it extra special! This stuff will spoil you when it comes to maple syrup. If you find it - buy it.
It was supposed to be a Christmas gift but at the last minute I heard that L'oreal commercial in my head that said "You're worth it" and I said "You're right" and I kept it. 

Oatmeal was the energy starter I needed and I got crazy in the kitchen making soups to stock up the freezer.

I started with a squash/sweet potato soup.

Squash, sweet potato, apple a drizzle of Kinsip (worth it) and seasoning. 

All blended up and topped with roasted sesame seeds - Voila!

Hadn't planned on the next one, but after a visit to the market the crazy mushroom dude was feeling particularly generous and gave me a LOT of extra mushrooms. So I made a cauliflower soup with mushrooms.
Roasted cauliflower is a very pretty thang.

Then I made a Thai Chicken Noodle, another fab recipe from the fab Marcus, my friend's hubby who is a kitchen wiz with the best recipes.
This one is a bit spicy with coconut milk, spinach, mushrooms (I've got a lot of mushrooms right now), red pepper and noodles. 

Another beauty from Marcus - vegetarian Shepherd's Pie!

So, here's my for all you heat seeking Canadians: Sweaters, blankets, working furnaces, slippers, socks, oatmeal, time in the kitchen, season with Kinsip and throw in mushrooms. 

You will feel comfy-cosy in no time!




No comments:

Post a Comment