Sunday, September 13, 2015

SAD BANANAS AND COLD, RAINY WEEKENDS

Last week was hot. Hot, Hot, Hot! On average, it felt like 36 Celsius (that's 96.8 for you farenheit folks). That means I spent most of last weekend doing afternoon napping. Too hot outside, too hot inside. 

But on Friday we took a nose dive and  Saturday and Sunday have been cold, wet and rainy. In fact, today most of Belleville is pretty sleepy cause in the middle of the night there was a fantastic electrical storm with thunder booms that shook, rattle and rolled us all. I was pretty sure I would wake up to see cindered trees and craters in the pavement from all those lightning bolts!

I've had a very busy week - out every night for one thing or another so after work on Friday I got groceries, went home and crashed. No reason to go anywhere except directly to the kitchen and putter! Besides, I've not done a foodie blog in a while.

I had a few things to use up. For some reason, bananas have fallen from grace in my house and they sadly turn brown utterly forgotten on their pretty platter until I move them into the freezer for their final demise. I also wanted to stock up on some vegetarian dishes for when they are needed.

First up was a chick pea, potato and cauliflower stew. This is supposed to have apple in it but I did not have one. Mango was up for grabs instead. This is a nice hearty vegetarian option!



Next was a squash soup (I threw in the rest of the cauliflower as well).



I like to add roasted sunflower seeds as a garnish for a nice crunch!

Then there were all those sad, brown bananas in the freezer waiting to be redeemed. So I made a chocolate banana cake with a cream cheese frosting:



And finally I finished the weekend with two loaves of banana bread - one with chocolate chips and one with pecans (special request). 

I froze the soup and stew for later use and the baked goods will be eaten up this week - either at church or the drop in Centre downtown or work. 

The moral of this blog is, if you are feeling forgotten remember the Bananas - they have the last word!





1 comment: