Saturday, February 7, 2015

THE BOY AND THE BREAD

I don't know about you, but I've had a busy week! Started it off with a car accident which led to me driving a rented Fiat while the tank is in the shop. I've always wanted to drive a Mini Cooper, so this was a close second. You should have seen me stuff the cello in there for my lesson. Good thing I don't play a tuba!

My co-workers put in a long week on the picket line - no end in sight yet, but we are hopeful.

Finally my Dad went in for knee surgery. I went to see him in the hospital and he quite enjoyed pushing the button attached to his morphine pump!

So I was thrilled to have Adrian come home for the weekend. I have not seen my son (in person), since Christmas and it was good to hold him. And because we are in endless snow mode this week we spent the day together mostly in the kitchen.

Now I've done my best to train my children in all modes of life including how to survive the kitchen. I have been his Mr. Miyagi (for those under 40- look up Karate Kid) and he is my Adrianson. But when it comes to bread baking, the student surpasses the master.
"How about making some bread Adrian."
"Sure - I know a great Rosemary Focaccia we can make."
"Great - you got the recipe?"
"No, I know it off by heart."
Oh...I see....just off the top of your head you are going to whip up some Rosemary Focaccia. And that is just what he does.

I know I say this a lot, but dang, this kid is handsome. And handy. He expertly manhandles the bread dough, sprinkles in the rosemary and this is what comes out in the end.


Beautifully crisp on the outside, fluffy and light on the inside. Perfect Rosemary Focaccia. From scratch. No recipe followed. Just off the top of his head. Sheesh. I've created a Baker.

But then, not to be outdone, I counter strike! With a high Karate chop I whip up (from scratch) a rich chicken stew

Then with after a quick Crane pose, I finish with an apple/berry crisp


HIIIIIYAAHH!


No comments:

Post a Comment