Saturday, February 22, 2014

ROBIN SPOTTING

Yesterday morning as I was out walking Amelia I spotted my first spring Robin. It was still very early and dark so I was a little surprised to catch him about. I have heard Robins chirping here and there for a couple of weeks but they are still recuperating from their long journey and not very many are up before 7:00. But there he was at about 5:45 am, checking out a puddle, probably considering how long before the thaw brings those big fat worms up. 

I always record when I spot my first spring Robin. So for 2014, that would be Feb. 21. Last year it was March 7. For some absurd reason, spotting my first spring Robin is usually a signal of trouble for me. It's kinda like: "Oh look! A robin!" which soon leads to "oh....look....a robin..." And sure enough, it has been a difficult time for me lately. 

This past week was my sister Heidi's birthday - had she lived she would be 52 this year. As most of you know, these kind of moments can be grievous and reflective. I'm still struggling with a bad case of winter blues and a few other things on my plate make this year a classic case of Robin spotting trouble. 

So - how does one deal with feeling emotionally shaken and "not oneself" so to speak? I have a few tickets in my pocket that I turn to. 
I need alone time for prayer and meditation - not that this is nothing new for me but I REALLY need it.
Exercise helps.
A glass of wine - note I said "a" not "a bottle".
Solid words of wisdom are good. Facebook is now full of them!
I turn to scripture as well. These are all taken from "The Message" which I'm reading at the moment. Here are a couple of my favourites:

Trust God from the bottom of your heart, don't try and figure out everything on your own. Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track.
Proverbs 3:5,6
This is my Life verse - the very first one I clung to and has seen me through many a dark Robin spotting time.

God's loyal love couldn't have run out, his merciful love couldn't have dried up. They're created new every morning. 
Lamentations 3:22

Picture this: Cyndi walks into God's Bakery - smells wonderful and there are lots of goodies on display
Cyndi: Good morning!
God: Good morning to you!
Cyndi: What have you got available today?
God: Well I have the usual that I make everyday....Grace, at least 70X7 different types of forgiveness. And I have a fresh batch of mercy just made this morning!
Cyndi: Mmmmm.....that mercy looks good.  I know I was in here yesterday and got some but, well, it was pretty much used up by about 2 in the afternoon. Any chance I could get some more of that merciful love?
God: Sure! And for you - it's free! Because you are my favourite.
Cyndi: Gosh God, everybody is your favourite!
God: I know, but right now you are here looking for a fresh batch mercy, not Joe down the street. So here you are!

It's always good to know I can start a new day fresh with a new beginning, no matter how badly I screwed up the day before. And so can you. Cause you are God's favourite. 

So if you are going through a tough bit of Robin spotting, I hope you have the resources you need to get through. Believe me, I understand.


No comments:

Post a Comment