Saturday, June 29, 2013

DICHOTOMY OF A DREAMER



See that picture there? That's me. A dreamer. Living in a cornucopia of reveries floating around in my head.
I'm much better off as a passenger than a driver. As a passenger I can while away the hours, staring out the window ruminating on whatever is on my mind. My husband knows the deal and does not expect a lot of interaction from me.
Dichotomy means a contrast between two things that are represented as being opposed or entirely different. A classic description of my husband and I. He is a social butterfly and I'm an introverted caterpillar. If it wasn't for him, I would likely be a hermit.
But stark contrasts can be seen all through life. The ying and the yang seems to effect us all.
As a dreamer, I gotta say, why is that? Why this constant push me/pull you? Even the Beatles recognized it "I don't know why you say goodbye I say hello.
Worse, as a Christian, it gets even tougher.

Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

Are you kidding me? You are asking me to take all the constant thoughts, ideas, dreams imaginations passing by at mock speed and bring them into captivity. That is like herding cats. That is the dichotomy of a dreamer!

Luckily for me, I'm a reasonably disciplined individual so I try not to let everything, and I do mean everything, run amuck up there. But it is not easy. I'm prone to dream, to wander, think about, picture.

I've had this discussion with God which usually ends up with me just blithely raising my hands in defeat. And fortunately for me he knows I am but dust, a frail human born into sin who struggles everyday just like the rest of us. And I belong to Him. I'm His child, which is comforting because we know the apple does not fall far from the tree and that means that God is a dreamer too - An expert one.

So here is another dichotomy. Me, a frail sinner, can come before God, perfect and sinless, and discuss one to one all my struggles, screw ups, victories and dreams. No point in trying to hide them is there....

He listens patiently and then, gently through His word, a song, creation, His still small voice, or so many numerous other avenues, tries to direct and guide me into what is always perfect and best for me.
He takes this dreamer and wraps me into His own dreams. The ones He has for me. And with God,
"All things are possible for them that believe." 

Those are the kinda words a Dreamer loves to hear....







No comments:

Post a Comment