Saturday, June 15, 2013

SENSE OF DIRECTION

I have a good friend and she tells me "Cyndi, you can't be good at everything." She's right of course, nobody can. Would be nice. I have my foibles, my blind spots, even dare I say, my disabilities.

I have no sense of direction. Zip. Notta. It's some kind of disability. Please don't use "north, south, east or west" when giving me directions. Means absolutely nothing. I'm the one who gets off the elevator and has no idea whether to turn left or right. When we travelled to Italy it was a given that if I was not with my family, I would probably still be wondering around the Venice airport.

This morning I had to go to the hospital for a test. Luckily for me, I had worked in the hospital before, for about 10 years, so I pretty much knew how to find my way around. What I was not privy to was the amount of construction the hospital is presently under and many familiar passageways are moved/closed off or basically bricked right over. Everywhere I turned there was no door where there used to be, or there was no hall but a drywalled blank slab waiting to be painted. Oh, there are signs everywhere, pointing here and there but that is a risky thing to expect a direction-challenged person to rely on. I knew I had to get to the X-ray area which, last I checked, was in the same area as emergency. So, I made my way to emerg only to find a door. Tried the door. Nope....So I asked the lady at Triage
"Oh you can't get there from here anymore, you have to go back down the hall, up to the second floor and then back down another way to the first floor."
Are you kidding?
It is right on the other side of this door.
She was not kidding.
So I said "wish me luck" and off I went down the unfamiliar maze-like passageway attempting to find an elevator that would take me up and then, somehow back down and to my destination. I made it, eventually, though I was nearly 15 minutes late.
At this point in my life, I have a pretty good idea who I am, where I am going (mentally anyway), and what I want to accomplish. But when it comes to physically finding someplace, I am reliant on the kind hearted, family and those who can use "left, right, the big red barn, the house with the white picket fence, etc."
I can't be good at everything!
Lost again, unaware that Lake Louse is right behind me....


No comments:

Post a Comment