Friday, July 16, 2010

Anybody for Freshie?

The other day at work a co-worker mentioned the word "Freshie".
Freshie....now there's a word I have not heard in a while!! I doubt my kids would even know what it means. Funny how "Kool-Aid" is still kicking around but Freshie has disappeared along with "groovy" and "far out."
I started to thinking about all the hip words that come and go, words we never say anymore, words we never even need to say anymore. Coming even faster are the new words to fit our technology - blogging for example. How funny would the word blogging sound to someone 50 years ago?? If you asked them what they had thought a blog was who knows what the answer would be. Something from a swamp, a monster similar to "The Blob"? I believe "The Blob" was all the rage about 50 years ago....but I could be wrong.
So here's to all those long forgotten words that used to be so much a part of our vocabulary. If you are a reader, you are a lover of words and it seems to be a shame to pack them all away. Maybe I'll start re-inventing the word "Freshie". Start putting it out there again like "Boy isn't that a freshie!" meaning new and hip or something like that. Or "She's a real freshie!" as in a big flirt.
So I encourage you all - if you have a word you once upon a time had a great fondness for that seems to be shelved, pull er out, breathe some new life into it, and let's see what happens!

1 comment:

  1. I have always loved the words Moxy and Mod
    I have used them at work and have had many giggle as they remember, while others (the youth) ask what they mean.
    You got Moxy Kid and your posts are totally Freshie ;-)

    ReplyDelete