Sunday, October 31, 2021

IT’S THE GREAT PUMPKIN!

 I’m dating myself, but Peanuts “It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown” was always a favourite. This TV special came out in 1966 if you can believe it - over 50 years ago! Linus will be happy to know pumpkin is still reigning supreme and seems we are as smitten as ever. 

We went with Randi to take the Little Prince and Princess out to pick the perfect pumpkin. 


And after some serious debate regarding the shapes of eyes and noses, Soren requested a one-eyed “poison” pumpkin and I went with a googled-eyed cat


But pumpkin’s lure goes beyond Halloween and Jack-o-Lanterns! What about all those “pumpkin spice” chai teas or lattes? Did you know you can get pumpkin spice Cheerios?? I can see a few of you rolling your eyes. 

Although I don’t stop into Starbucks very often, I do get caught into that spicy orange goodness. I pick up a little pumpkin, bake it and blend to make a nice batch of pumpkin purée. Then comes Pumpkin Thai soup - made with coconut milk and jalapeño peppers! 

I made pumpkin cookies - some with chocolate, some with nuts and raisins

I still had a bit of pumpkin purée left so one morning I added a spoonful to my Oatmeal. Ok…if you are a pumpkin pie fan this will be up your alley! Topped with maple syrup, cinnamon and some cashew/coconut milk, it was like warm pumpkin pie first thing in the morning! OMGP- Oh My Great Pumpkin!

Finally, let’s consider the straight goods: it is a good source of vitamin C, E, iron and folate - all excellent for your immune system to help ward off those nasty germs. It is high in fibre and low in carbs and sugar too!

Linus was on to something. Pumpkin Is Great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment