Sunday, September 8, 2019

ODE TO MY MOM!

Mom, this one's for you! This past week we celebrated my Mother's 80th birthday. 80 years and looking fabulous!

Her birthday request was to celebrate in a Yurt and since she has never really asked for much in this life it's what we did.
It was a beautiful day with a hint of coolness and not a bad way to celebrate 80 years if you ask me.

We took a small hike in the woods and happily we all came back in one piece.

I like to think I've inherited a number of my Mom's great qualities: her graciousness, independent spirit and tenacity are a few. 
In fact, these have been passed down to my own daughter  as well. 

When my mom was still just a teenager she packed her bags and left her parents and brother in Kalamazoo, Michigan to move to Canada (talk about gutsy). 


In the little hamlet of Ameliasburgh, she met my Father. They married and my mom spent the next 10 years or so raising a family of 4. Eventually, she went back to full time work using her gentle spirit and creativity at a Daycare. She is a gifted artist and musician. It is my personal suspicion that my brother, a musical prodigy, inherited the knack from my Mom, even though my Dad's side is incredibly musical. She carries with her the painful grief that comes from losing a child, my sister Heidi, who died at 25 from cancer. 

Her life has not always been easy. Even to this day, living in chronic pain,  my Mom is not a complainer nor does she play the victim role. Heck, she wanted to take a hike in the woods for her 80th birthday!

Happy 80th Birthday Mom! Thanks for all you do and all you taught me. Much Love, Cyndi!!


No comments:

Post a Comment