Sunday, August 27, 2017

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

It's a sure sign my summer season is winding down when I spend a week at the cottage. 

We have been able to enjoy this little slice of paradise nearly every year since the kids were still teenagers. 

Cottage time insists on a complete change of pace, in fact, for something completely different!

I only have one cottage rule, and that is to go swimming every day.
This year the weather was on the coolish side, much like most of our summer. The owner had given me a heads up that the water was a "Tad" cooler and he wasn't kidding. One day topped off with a high of 18 degrees celsius! But swim I did - every day.


Randi was up for the weekend only and we spent some time on the dock painting our nails. I admit, this is completely different for me. I have maybe painted my nails twice in the past 5 years. But as I stuck my pretty pink toes in the water I wondered if the fish might find them worth nibbling on (they didn't). I'm a high multi-tacker but cottage rhythm insists on me slowing down. So if I spend a good 20 minutes just getting my feet adjusted before I take the plunge, that's OK. Every now and then I need to slow down. 

I also rarely sit through watching TV for any length of time. But again, I did indeed catch up on some old movies. Sheldon and I watched most of the Lord of the Rings from the Hobbit on down. And I snuck in a good girl flick too!


Lulu and I had a complete change of scenery on our morning walks.

It was shockingly quiet with only the sounds of a distant loon on the water, a pewee calling out and one noisy, "I'm-the-king-of-the-world" squawking bluejay. No sounds of sirens, or traffic or the busy, urban Robins singing for their supper in town. Now that's something completely different!

Good food is good food, no matter where you are, and it always tastes better after a day outside.


Bacon is a rare treat; the last time I had any was at the cottage  a year ago.

We also enjoyed, compliments of the owner Robin, some fresh lake trout! I breaded those babies and fried them in butter.

Cottage time is a quality break from my busy daily routine. This year, quiet as it was with only Sheldon and I there most of the time, it was still crowded, full of memories from when my kids were little and friends laughing and swimming. 

Sometimes it's hard to switch gears, slow down and do, well, practically nothing. But I'm grateful for cottage time that insists on changing my routine and doing something completely different.




No comments:

Post a Comment