Saturday, May 17, 2014

INCIDENTALLY, I MIGHT BE A GARDENER

Garden Prep!
I've had the past week off. A week which I deemed to be focused on getting my garden(s) in order. The weather man was not looking very cooperative stating rain, rain and more rain but as it turned out, heaven smiled, sun shined, temperatures soared and it rained just enough to loosen things up so I could pull weeds and little maple trees hiding under bushes.
But I'm no gardener, not by a long shot....
Wait....
Maybe, incidentally, I might be!
We bought this house from a little retired dutch couple who had nothing better to do than to fart around (pun intended, if I know old people) and putter in their extensive gardens. 
But I've lived here now for 10 years and the gardens are still intact,  things are still growing and thriving. Sure they are not the same, but they are no worse, might even be better in some cases!
By gosh, I am!! I am a gardener!! 
We used to have this lovely little pool in the middle of the yard, and there, sitting sentinel, sat Chad the Cherub. 
Chad, in his Prime

But Chad was a perfect perch for the grackles and I was always fishing him out of the little pond along with other floating, dead creatures like moles and mice. So a couple of years ago we filled in that little pond and got ourselves a nice fountain instead. 

The fountain

And Chad, well, one too many knocks into the pond and he began to break apart. 
I miss Chad...he was a good lad.
I inherited this monster clematis, which is still blooming nonstop each year

I've planted a few other clematis vines and they are looking promising as well.
I have beautiful roses and peonies,

 By mid June, the one section of the garden sorta looks like this:

My garden is abundant with perennials and I'm always trying to give something away. 

I had a great week off and got a lot accomplished. 
Flowers by Cyndi!

And it's a good thing too. This is now the long weekend in May, the official start of the gardening season. It's cold outside, feels like fall. So I mowed the lawn, got the fountain together with Sheldon's help and decided to come inside to have a cup of green tea and honey. 

Maybe I'll bake some cookies....incidentally, I might be a baker too.



No comments:

Post a Comment