Saturday, April 19, 2014

FOR THE LOVE OF A GOOD.....CAR


I'm in Love with My Car, Gotta feel for my automobile
Get a grip on my boy racer rollbar,
Such a thrill when your radials squeal.

Queen, Night at the Opera - I'm in Love with My Car

Man, that is still such a good album, I mean CD, I mean digital track...whatever. Was good in 1975, still good today. 

But I can relate. That is my 99 Honda CRV. And I really do love that car. She is manual and lots of fun to drive. Not too big, not too small - just right for me. She's got a lot of miles on her though.


Over 300,000 now. And the emergency break doesn't really work, and the doors stick in the winter and the heating/cooling system can be dicey. Actually, sounds a lot like me! 

I hardly get to drive her anymore as it has seen two kids through University. They whisk my car away and I only get to see her periodically when they come home for a visit or holiday. I hop in, adjust the seat, hit the clutch and away we go. 

Years ago, when the Honda really was still in my possession, we drove up to Toronto to meet my daughter and her friend. We parked the CRV in a parking lot somewhere and hopped on the subway to spend the day downtown. It was just after Halloween so we had a bag of candy in the back. Perhaps that was a mistake....
When we got back at the end of the day and headed out to the parking lot, no CRV. I wandered around and around in disbelief until my husband stopped me, looked me straight in the eye and made me understand the car had been stolen. We took the train home and I cried (not good with goodbyes, including vehicles).
Not only was my car gone but my Duncan Sheik CD that I had to special order from the States!!! And the Candy!! 

Thus began the process with the Police and the Insurance Company. The police said you can kiss that baby goodbye. The Insurance was starting to get things in order for us. There is a time frame (I think about 6 weeks) and then they hand you over a cheque. My husband was nearly frothing at the mouth, thinking of what he would like to replace my little CRV with when, lo and behold, the day before the time frame is up, the cops call and she has shown up a few blocks from where we had left her. She is battered, dirty and scratched but no worse for wear. And the candy is gone. But my CDs are still in there! 

To this day, I don't know where that CRV went but she came back to me. Maybe she loves me too. You can't beat a good car. 


No comments:

Post a Comment