Friday, September 18, 2026

FRUITS OF MY LABOUR

 Where I live, the summer of 2025 was dry, dry, dry. Wells needed to be topped up and farmers sadly watched frazzled crops fry in parched earth. 

But this year is another story! This year the rain has been abundant and consistent. Lawns stayed Irish green and the lawnmower needed to be put to task almost weekly. 

I headed to local pick-your-own patches rubbing my hands with Mr. Burns' glee to stock up.... Excellent!

Strawberries in June (had a little help with the picking).

Then raspberries and blueberries


I cleaned and washed and stored all these little gems in my freezer for the winter months ahead. Then came fresh candy-sweet corn and juicy peaches and cherries. Who cares if you have cherry-red stained fingers or sticky peach juice running down your arm? 

The big winners in my own personal harvest were crab apples and lavender.


The lavender is now drying and will be put it sachets to tuck under a pillow for sweet dreams or in dresser drawers


We picked nearly 12 pounds of crab apples. I've never really tried making jelly, much less crab apple jelly, or canning for that matter. But thought I'd give it a go. 

My kitchen was a disaster and I fumbled my way through the sterilization process but in the end....

Little ruby pots of crab apple jelly ready to share!

In the winter months ahead I will share and enjoy the fruits of my labour: all the picking, prepping, cleaning, bagging and canning. 

Anyone for raspberry pie???





No comments:

Post a Comment